You will be a big hit Sunday regardless of who you are rooting for!
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- About 1 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 cups club soda
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 large shallots, sliced 1/4 in. thick and broken into rings
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Preheat oven to 250°. Fill a deep pot with 2 in. oil, insert a deep-fry thermometer, and heat to 375° over medium-high heat.
- Mix together flours, cornmeal, baking soda, and 1 tsp. salt in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in club soda until blended.
- Dip a large handful of green beans into batter. Using tongs, lift beans from batter, letting a little of excess drain, and lower a portion at a time into oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute. Transfer to a large baking sheet lined with paper towels, salt to taste, and put in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining beans and the shallots; keep oil between 375° and 385°.
- Stir together mayonnaise with chili powder in a small bowl for dipping.
Note:The beans will cook tender-crisp in the same time it takes to brown the coating.
See full post here: Annabelle Breakey Photography :: Blog2013-02-01.