January 12, 2013
These delicious eggs get your day started right! Your belly will be happy and full and you won’t spend your whole morning in the kitchen!
- 2 cups store-bought hot red salsa
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 8 smallish corn tortillas (5 to 6 in.)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup coarsely shredded jack cheese, plus extra for sprinkling on beans
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons grated cotija or parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano or 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) refried beans, thinned with water if you like and warmed up in the microwave
- Put 4 heavy dinner plates in oven and preheat to 200°. Heat salsa in a small saucepan over low heat, covered.
- Fill a large frying pan with 1/2 in. oil and heat over medium heat until the handle of a wooden spoon bubbles when you stand it in the oil. Remove plates from oven. Using tongs, fry each tortilla 2 seconds per side. Drain against side of pan, then overlap 2 tortillas on each warm plate. Pop in oven to keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Cook 4 eggs, gently spooning oil over yolks to set them, 2 minutes for firm whites and runny yolks.
- Spoon about 3 tbsp. warm salsa onto each plate of tortillas. Using a slotted spatula or spoon, transfer 2 eggs to each plate, draining against side of pan first, and top with another 3 tbsp. salsa. Keep warm in oven while frying and plating remaining 4 eggs. (You may have to increase the heat a little for the second batch.)
- Sprinkle eggs with jack cheese, then green onions, cotija, and oregano. Spoon beans alongside and top with jack cheese.
See full post here: Annabelle Breakey Photography :: Blog2013-01-12.