Plum season is coming to a close here in the Bay Area. Â The trees in my Oakland neighborhood are heavy with this delicious fruit. Â So, before they are all gone, why not make this Rustic Plum Tart recipe? Â Itâ€™s sooo good!
Rustic Plum TartÂ
- Parchment paperÂ
- Vegetable cooking sprayÂ
- 1 Â½ pounds plums, slicedÂ
- Â½ cup sugarÂ
- 1/3 cup plum preservesÂ
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extractÂ
- Â¼ teaspoon ground allspiceÂ
- Â½ (15-oz.) package refrigerated pie crustsÂ
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flourÂ
- 1 large eggÂ
- 1 tablespoon sugarÂ
- Sweet Cream Topping (optional)
1. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; coat parchment paper with cooking spray.
2. Preheat oven to 350Â°. Stir together plums and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Unroll piecrust on prepared baking sheet. Roll into a 12-inch circle.
4. Drain plum mixture, reserving liquid. Toss plums in flour.
5. Mound plums in center of piecrust, leaving a 3-inch border. Fold piecrust border up and over plums, pleating as you go, leaving an opening about 5 inches wide in center.
6. Stir together egg and 1 Tbsp. water. Brush piecrust with egg mixture, and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. sugar.
7. Bake at 350Â° for 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden. Carefully transfer tart on parchment paper to a wire rack; cool 20 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, bring reserved plum liquid to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Boil 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Let cool slightly. Brush or drizzle 1 to 2 Tbsp. hot plum liquid over exposed fruit in center of tart. Serve immediately with remaining plum syrup, and, if desired, Sweet Cream Topping.
Sweet Cream Topping: Stir together Â½ cup sour cream and 2 tsp. brown sugar. Cover and chill 2 hours before serving. Stir just before serving.
Peach-Nectarine Tart: White peaches wonâ€™t work as well in this tart because of their delicate texture. Prepare recipe as directed, substituting Â¾ lb. peeled nectarines and Â¾ lb. peeled peaches for plums and peach preserves for plum preserves.
Apricot-Almond Tart: Prepare recipe as directed, substituting fresh apricots for plums and apricot preserves for plum preserves. Omit allspice.
Fresh Cherry Tart: Prepare recipe as directed, substituting 1 Â½ lb. fresh cherries, pitted, for plums and cherry preserves for plum preserves.
See full post here: The Storied Kitchen2017-06-30.