December 10, 2012
especially when they are cooked up in this delicious dish! Peter Rabbit, eat your heart out!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped as finely and evenly as possible (about 3 cups; see Notes)
- About 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese, plus 1/2 cup for garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus 1 tbsp. for garnish
- 1 teaspoon roughly chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil and 1 tbsp. butter over medium heat in a medium heavy-bottomed pot; add carrots and stir with a wooden spoon until well coated. Add 1/2 cup water, 1/2 tsp. salt, and the sugar; cover and cook 5 minutes, or until tender. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until water evaporates and carrots are just starting to brown, a few minutes more. Reserve half of the carrots. In a blender, purée other half with 3/4 cup hot water.
- Bring chicken broth to a simmer and keep at a simmer, covered, over low heat.
- Heat remaining oil and butter over medium heat in same (unwashed) pot used for carrots. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add rice, stirring with a wooden spoon to coat rice with oil, 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring, until wine evaporates. Add carrot purée and cook, stirring, until mixture no longer looks soupy.
- Add 1/2 cup hot broth, stirring often, until rice absorbs most of the liquid. Repeat process, adding 1/2 cup broth at a time and stirring often till each addition is absorbed before adding the next, until rice is al dente (about 20 minutes; at least 1 cup broth will remain).
- Fold in reserved carrots (save 2 tbsp. for garnish), mascarpone, 1/4 cup parmesan, 1 tbsp. parsley, and the thyme. Add up to 1 cup broth (1/4 cup at a time) to loosen the risotto. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle each bowl of risotto with some of remaining 1/2 cup parmesan, remaining 1 tbsp. parsley, and reserved carrots. Serve immediately.
See full post here: Annabelle Breakey Photography :: Blog2012-12-10.